DEVELOPING YOUR PHILOSOPHY
Developing a personal philosophy is essential to successfully serve as a DECA advisor. Your individualized philosophy should incorporate the purpose of DECA, your role as a teacher-advisor and the roles and responsibilities of student members. Use this philosophy as your guide as you advise your chapter and integrate DECA into your classroom.
To aid you in the process of developing your philosophy, consider the questions below:
- How are you preparing members for college and careers — both now and in the future?
- How will you integrate DECA into the classroom and apply learning?
- How will you incorporate aspects in your program to prepare members to become academically prepared, community oriented, professionally responsible, experienced leaders?
- How will your program align with your local school’s philosophy and state and national initiatives?
- How do you plan to connect to business?
- What relationship will you foster with postsecondary institutions?
- How will you brand and promote your program?